Geriatric - Falls & Balance
As we age, our balance, hearing, vision and muscle mass decrease. The fear of falling becomes a reality we must all deal with. Southland Physical Therapist will customize personalized treatments to address your concerns. We will work with you to build balance confidence, strength, coordination, and take control of your fear of falling!
Things to know about falls.
Common things that cause people to fall.
- 33 % of people over 65 years old will fall each year
- 50 % of people over 85 years old will fall each year.
- Falling can be dangerous. Falls may cause broken bones, hospital visits, loss of the ability to take care of yourself, and sometimes even death.
- Decreased or bad eye sight
- Weak muscles
- Trouble keeping balance
- Side effects from medicine
- Bad lighting or dark areas in your house
- Uneven or slippery ground
You can change many of the things listed above. You can reduce your chance of falling!
What can I do to help stop myself from falling?
- Schedule an eye check up with your doctor.
- Exercise to improve strength and balance.
- Talk with your doctor about the side effects of your medicine.
- Remove things from the floor of your house that may cause you to trip like rugs, toys, and foot stools
- Put nightlights in areas of your house where you walk when it is dark.